Boron is a mineral that is frequently included in supplements, but usually in too low a dosage to be effective.
Like tocotrienols, SiliphosTM, green tea and berberine, boron supports cellular apoptosis,1,10 which is the primary reason we chose to include it in Curos Essential. However, that is far from the only reason to supplement with boron.
- boosts absorption of magnesium,2
- helps Vitamin D to be more effective,6,14
- supports osteogenesis (healthy bone density)3,4,5
- supports normal and healthy inflammatory response13
- increases the activity of the detoxification enzyme SOD7
- improves mental alertness8
- supports detoxification heavy metal toxicity9
- may boost NAD+ levels, which is associated with healthy aging10
An excellent review article was written in 2015, which provides more information on all of these mechanisms by which boron supports healthy cellular function. You can read that article in its entirety at this link.
However, it is important to note that these benefits of boron are not found at low intake levels. Rather, human studies only show these benefits at levels of 3mg/ day and higher. Americans’ daily dietary intake of boron was estimated to be approximately 1 mg/d in 1999, and is thought to have gone down since then. No recommended levels have been set for boron, only an upper intake level (UL) of 20 mg/d.12
Therefore, we at Curos felt that it is prudent to provide 3mg/day, to achieve the benefits discussed herein.